Follow this link to read the Brainwashed manifesto
Learn
Generosity
Acknowledging the lizard
The three layers work with each other hand in hand. The learning portion of Godin’s article is slightly contradictory to his opening statement in which he shows that we are being taught to learn, not being taught information that is necessary to survive because there are so many different ways to survive. The learning process is what is most important not the specific skill that they will teach you, such as quadratic formula. Generosity is also crucial as in these times people don’t want to pay for things unless they receive immediate gratification. As far as acknowledging the lizard he makes a point in that peoples fear holds them back from success. Between being generous and acknowledging the lizard, Godin applies these principles to worldly concepts.
The blogs that I have been creating this quarter reflect specific assignments used to aim my creativity. I think this is an interesting way to force some creativity out of students that are otherwise stagnant in their creativity. Learning is necessary to the creative process, and without that then there would be no creative process. Generosity plays a part in the creative process in a way that we have to share this creativity without people to pay for it. Art is “free”. Acknowledging this creativity as a student to move forward is also necessary. The layers that I have selected reflect what I feel is important in the creative process. I am not sure whether or not that these exercises make me a better “student” but I definitely find them interesting. I also view the “lizard” the Godin refers to as a public nervousness of failure. I disagree to an extent about what the actual lizard is but I do agree that there is certainly a fear of failure. I think that if people were generous with their art they can be more successfully. The earlier that people can be generous then the sooner that they can be successful and face their fears. The lizard is an interesting example that Godin uses. The inner animal within us can sometimes be overwhelming and can take over. Acknowledging this inner fear or darkness can be one of the important things that a student has to deal with. Personally I found that these projects allowed me to use different mediums to be creative. These creative outlets definitely spring new ideas within myself and allow me to use different tools to express, in my opinion, humor. Even with the extra credit problem I attempted to express a type of generosity. Also by working with different groups of people I have allowed some the inner walls that could be conceived as a “lizard” to be broken down. In addition to that I have applied the learning principle to the different mediums that are available to students and people. Although the instructions say I should be concerned with a meaningful howl I believe this is actually referring to the acknowledgment of the lizard inside all of us. I do not think that the exercises are pointless, I think they remove the “fear” of success that many students have. By making it an assignment the students can happily use their creativity to the max without being ridiculed for being creative.
No comments:
Post a Comment