Monday, September 26, 2011


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On05op_Md38




This clip from “Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid” is a classic and I picked it because of the way that nature is portrayed in the video. Analyzing the listening modes of the clip you can see that the causal sounds play a major part in the clip. Whether it is Butch and Sundance running across the plateau or them falling down the rocky hill, you can see what is happening and understand the sound associated with it. However when they get closer to the waterfall you hear the rushing water, which lets the audience know what the two men do not, that they are headed towards a waterfall and towards trouble. The way that the sound works out it lets the audiences know what’s going to happen just slightly before the two main characters. It’s not necessarily a non diegetic sound but the timing does key the audience in to what is about to happen.
Also the way that sound is used to portray the space of the area they are in is well done.  For movement, the echo’s of their footprints on the stones gets more intense as the characters get closer.  Also when they are falling down the rocky hill their sounds get louder when they’re closer for a moment showing the size of the cliff. The size, distance and perception are shown as well. The sound of the waterfall fills the rocky gorge as it should during the whole scene, to the point where the two men are yelling at each other.



The blogger page will not let me post the screenplay as a PDF so I have posted it below

FADE IN
EXT. SOUTHWEST AMERICA- DAY
Wind is blowing as BUTCH CASSIDY and THE SUNDANCE KID are fleeing over the top of a stone plateau. Hopping over a downed tree, SUNDANCE trips, barely regaining his footsteps.
 Wind is blowing the echoes of their footsteps.
They are running out of breath, stopping only for a moment to look behind them
and coming to the edge of the cliff,
they jump down a large hill only to fall and roll down 250 feet  through stones and
rocks, the cowboy boots echoing off of the rocks as they lose their hats down the hill. The sounds of
water appear, slowly getting louder and louder.
They roll to their feet as they get to a gorge at the end of path, exposing the waterfall that was
inevitably going to appear.
BUTCH CASSIDY
Damn it!
The camera zooms out to expose the LARGE ROCKY GORGE. They both hide against the edge of the rocky gorge as the waterfall is deafening the background sound.
BUTCH CASSIDY
Well the way I figure it we can fight or give.
If We give we go to jail
SUNDANCE
I been there already.
BUTCH Cassidy
But if we fight they’ll see right where we are and starve us out or go for position and shoot us
Might even get a rock slide started, get us that way, what else can they do?
SUNDANCE
They could surrender to us but I wouldn’t count on it
A few shadowed characters move over the top of the ridge.

BUTCH
They’re goin for position alright
SUNDANCE
Better get ready (loads gun)
BUTCH
Kid nextime I say lets go someplace like Bolivia, lets go someplace like Bolivia!
SUNDANCE
Next time!
Ready?
BUTCH
No, we’ll JUMP!
Cuts to a shot of the rock filled river below.
SUNDANCE
Like hell we will!
BUTCH
No it’ll be ok, if the waters deep enough we don’t get squished to death
They’ll never follow us.
SUNDANCE
How do YOU know!?
BUTCH
Would you make a jump like that if ya didn’t have ta?
SUNDANCE
I have to and I aint gonna
BUTCH
Ya got to otherwise we’re dead.They’re just gonna have to go back down the same way they come. Cmon.
SUNDANCE
Just one clear shot, that’s all I want
BUTCH
Cmon..
SUNDANCE
..Uh uh
BUTCH
We got to---
SUNDANCE
Nope! Get away from me, I wanna fight em!
BUTCH
They’ll Kill us-
SUNDANCE
Maybe-
BUTCH
You wanna die?
SUNDANCE
Do you? ( motioning towards the cliff, water still echoing)
BUTCH
Alright, Ill jump first. (sound of belt being undone)
SUNDANCE
Nope
BUTCH
Then YOU Jump first
SUNDANCE
No I said!
BUTCH
WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU!
SUNDANCE
I CANT SWIM!
BUTCH
(Loud Laughter)Why you crazy?
The fall’ll probly kill ya (tosses SUNDANCE half his belt)


SUNDANCE
Whoa oa oa oa oa
The pair run towards the edge and jump hold each end of the belt

SUNDANCE
ahhh shiiittt!
Both screaming as they hit the water individually.

Again
The water crashing over the rocks and the two men is

Over whelming
BUTCH
Christ you’re downing me!
SUNDANCE
I’ll kill ya!
The two men

Almost drown  each other

Down the
River arguing

Threatening each other imperceptibly

As one of the
men who


 was chasing

them watches from the

Cliffs above.

The two men float down the river

To safety as the water crashes over them


FADE OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment